I am one of the teaching assistants for ENG 35 : Statics (Fall, 2017) at UC Davis. This post contains some materials relevant to the ENG 35 course.
- Course Instructor : Prof Boris Jeremić
- Course Website : http://sokocalo.engr.ucdavis.edu/~jeremic/ENG35/
*** Please refer to the official course website for homeworks, announcements, Lectures.. etc ***
- Some Truss Problems : Zero force members, Problems
- Statically Determinate Truss and Beams : Zero force members, Steps to solve truss problem, Use Symmetry wherever possible, Solved Examples
- Axial Force (AFD), Shear Force (SFD) and Bending Moment (BMD) Diagrams : Steps to solve and draw the diagrams, graphical method, Solved Examples
- Some Practice Problems with Solutions
- First find out the reactions
- Use symmetry wherever applicable
- Look for zero force members or special members
- Then proceed to finding out member forces.
- At pin joint, two resisting reaction forces (Rx and Ry) would get developed for each of the members connected to the pin.
- Identify two-force members if any
- At pin joint, the moment is zero for all the individual members connecting that pin.
- Homework#4 Problem#1(b) Solution
- Axial Force, Shear Force and Bending moment Diagrams
- First find out reactions
- Take any section by cutting the beam at a distance x from one end and find out shear force (T), bending moment (M) and Axial Force (N) as a function of x.
- Or Use the graphical method as discussed in class.
- Revisiting all the concepts (Problem Set) (27th November)
- Learning Virtual Work Method in Statics in a Nutshell (Prof Ing-Chang Jong, University of Arkansas): Look at solved examples.
- Practice Problems (Discussion Section, 4th Dec, 2017)
- Virtual Work Method Notes and Problem with Solution
Best of Luck for Finals !